ART: Think Like a Scientist; Create Like an Artist
- Classes for youth and adults
- Art—decorative and fine art
- Tina’s art, along with that of fellow artists
- A Spa for Your Brain: A day to create and rejuvenate
Why is art important?
It’s the “weight training for your brain” that builds creative thinking. Problems or emergencies arise in daily life that require innovative thinking. The solution isn’t always in a manual; it’s in your head. In 2000 a Drexel University professor said, By the year 2025 machines will have caught up with almost every human capability. In order to compete with smart machines, the key characteristic to possess is human distinctiveness—creativity, imagination, and novel thinking.
Classes/workshops: “Cross-train Your Brain”
- “A Spa for your Brain” is a one–day adult class that’s a mix of mental and physical activities—skill-building, art, and movement.
- Art classes for ages 9 and up (also appropriate for adults) Tina’s method is a step-by-step, logical progression that uses both analytical and conceptual thinking in a fun and non-intimidating experience. We also design classes that are inclusive and appropriate for students of all abilities and ages.
- “The Art of Reading” incorporates reading short stories, drawing, and discussion. This is appropriate for all abilities, including ESL students. Parents and providers, please contact Tina for more information. Required: 3rd grade reading level or higher.
“I enjoyed the abstract landscape project because I thought it was challenging but also interesting and fun.”
“I really liked this class. I haven’t really ever liked collages but this was fun.“
“I liked the creative independence and collaboration.”
At Athena House, we have small groups within plenty of space. Weather permitting, we set up tables outside in the shade. Students can take their breaks outside.
* If you have a group of 3 or more students, we can create a class for you
- Masks & Mixed Media
- Room Interior Collage
- Imaginary City
- Pen & Ink
- Music Composition
- Fairy Tale Collage
- Figures & Patterns
- Oil Pastel Landscapes
- Nature: Earth and Water
Projects involve problem-solving and conceptual thinking to create an interesting composition. The process helps students “think outside the box.” All projects are designed for various skills levels, and they are just as fun and engaging for adults.
- Masks & Mixed Media
2. Room Interior Collage
4. Imaginary City
5. Pen & Ink
6. Music Composition
7. Fairy Tale Collage
8. Figures & Patterns
10. Oil Pastel Landscapes
11. Nature: Earth and Water